Treasures from Heaven

Educating children's hearts and minds...True education isn't just about learning facts and figures, but developing character as well. History teaches courage; science teaches integrity; math teaches discipline; and composition teaches humility. Training minds and molding hearts are what parents do best, after all.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Truth

President Gordon B. Hinckley said: "Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights or interest in these little ones.

"Now, love them, take care of them. Fathers, control your tempers, now and in all the years to come. Mothers, control your voices, keep them down. Rear your children in love, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Take care of your little ones, welcome them into your homes and nurture and love them with all of your hearts.

"They may do, in the years that come, some things you would not want them to do, but be patient, be patient. You have not failed as long as you have tried. Never forget that" (Gordon B. Hinckley, address to the Salt Lake University 3rd Stake Conference, Nov. 3, 1996).



I read this and would LOVE to be perfect in all these areas. Unfortunately, my selfish ways get in the middle and I lose sight of what's important. As I've been reading about topic this week I've really tried to narrow down how to conquer my hardest bad habit. Raising my voice at my kids is hard to stop. Some days are better than others, but I'm trying to use more self-control to find the time to remember my truth. My own selfishness. I am also studying in the Real Love Bible Workbook by Greg Baer and came across the following quote which I need to read ten times a day and carry it with me:

"The people around me are doing the best they can. When they behave badly, they're just drowning. For me to insist that they do better than their best is foolish and selfish."

First day I tried I pretty much failed, but the second day I remembered and it was much better! I look forward to keep trying it. It reminds me that I'm not the judge of them and need to leave them in God's hands. With my children I remember the quote from Pres. Hinckley above. They were His before mine.

I love being a mother! It's hard, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!!!

1 comment:

Beka said...

on torey's blog she had this great quote,well something like this that was good: "remember you are not managing an inconvenience, you are raising a human being"--just something to add:)

A Glimpse into My Life

My photo
I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a mother!!! Married to my sweetheart, Greg, and bring in six amazing children down to earth has been the most wonderful experience! Our kids keep us busy with their curiosity and excitement for life. We laugh, learn, cry, read, and pray together all the time. The memories we are making as they grow up are ones I wouldn't change for the world!